Courses'Microscopy Course' (Hedgehog)
We now run a 1-day ‘What’s Under The Microscope?’ course at the Hospital in Beckford.
The day will run from 9am-4pm (approximately) and will consist of:
* An introduction to microscopes and how to use them
* Parasites, their lifecycle and how they affect the host
* Preparing slides
*Recognising parasites in hedgehog faecal samples
You can purchase various items to help hedgehog carers e.g. heat pads and tick lassos, here
COURSES RUNNING ON SITE AT VALE:
The ‘What’s Under The Microscope’ course at Vale Wildlife
Hospital runs from 9am until around 4pm.
The next microscopy course will be held at the hospital on Friday 19th January 2024.
The price of this one day course is £75 per person.
Book your place here – https://tinyurl.com/38rn4we8
THE COURSE INCLUDES
- a brief introduction to Vale Wildlife Hospital
- course objectives
- microscope anatomy
- familiarisation exercises
- ectoparasites – mites, fleas and ticks
- endoparasites – nematodes, fluke, protozoa, thorny-headed worms and tapeworms
- rationale – why do we analyse hedgehog stools?
- faecal collection and microscopy techniques
- direct faecal smears – preparing slides
- practical session
- course summary
- final questions and feedback
- quiz – how much do you remember?
- includes a course book plus a certificate of course completion